Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Looking beyond the surface

I love how I am learning that just because something is made one way doesn't mean it can't be changed with a little creativity! Over the past several months as I have become immersed in the blog world and discovering how many amazingly creative women there are out there, I have learned this lesson and I am now finding myself learning to not only take things I see at face value, but also to think about their potential and what they can become with a little TLC! It makes me think of some of my beginner dance students who are pretty rough around the edges when they start...but with direction, some encouragement, a little patience, and time it is amazing what can happen! (they performed this past weekend and were amazing! I am so proud!)

Thinking outside of the box is at times difficult for me in many areas, but I crave the ability to do so. And I admit that I am proud of one of my first attempts even though it is rather simple... 2 vases that I got for $3.27 a piece at Target! I wasn't thrilled with the grey, but loved the shape and thought they would look great in white. By the way...I love white, especially white dishes! My husband teases me about it and has even gone so far to say "Isn't white boring?" (tsk, tsk) It makes me want to cover the poor "ears" of all my lovely white dishes and say "Don't listen to him, what does he know anyway?!" ...He knows a lot actually and I'm proud of him for it! (sometimes he even helps me pick out which shoes to wear!)
Here he is doing "man" stuff and starting a fire...well gettin charcoal ready for the burgers he was making. And of course the kitty keeping watch

Anyway, I got a $.98 can of white paint at Wal-Mart and was so eager to paint that I didn't get a very good "before" picture of the original color.(I had actually painted the other side white already, oops! Like I said...a little eager)
I still have one more coat to do...didn't realize this until they were dry and back in the house. I love their shape and can't wait to use them on my dinning room table or even my mantel. My mind is buzzing with possibilities for them!

There is so much to be seen and discovered in this world if we only stop and take a few moments to discover it and look beyond the surface!

No comments:

Post a Comment