Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Whirling and Twirling


The past two weeks have been none stop and filled with driving, rehearsals, lighting cues, final dance classes, rounding up tiny girls in tutus, and more make up than I can handle. It seems I can't even recognize myself now that I have gone back to "normal" amounts of make up on my face! (or none at all for that matter!)

My first instinct is to give the play-by-play of my life between two different dance studios, in two different towns, but I know it would become long and tedious and I doubt anyone would really read it anyway!

Unfortunately I was so busy the first weekend I was hardly able to think much less get any pictures of the performance where I teach modern dance. I have two classes and then take one myself. It was a great performance with over 160 dancers total! In addition to dancing I was also the stage assistant for Act I and the back stage manager for Act II. whew! It was a lot of running, reminding students to whisper, and counting dancers to see if they were all there!The beautiful flowers I received for the first weekend of performing...love them!

The week after was filled with nightly rehearsals for Giselle and the college where I graduated and still take ballet. I was also a guest choreographer there this spring for the teacher who was on maternity leave. Such a great experience despite students who never come to class!
I wish you could see the fun eye make up we did, but it is a little too far off

Giselle is all about a girl who dies of a broken heart and become a "willi" or ghost (who are jilted maidens that come out at night and trap men and cause them to dance to death!). It is quite the somber story but in the end Giselle forgives the man she loved (who wooed her even thought he was betrothed to another) and goes on to be a willi forever.Getting ready!Danielle and I just before the showalways telling stories and maybe a little drama too :)
All the little girls waiting in the "green room" to go onstageBack view of Giselle's grave the college performance credit class made...and yes it is crooked...drove me nuts all week, but I couldn't fix it!And the big girls warming up onstage right before the curtain opened!Oh the drama! We were not allowed to smile through the whole production! I cannot tell you how hard that was at times! ( just after coming off stage from the last performance...tired but still had the 2nd Act to go)

The first show was my best, but both were great and I had soo much fun. Not to mention my fancy-shmancy new pointe shoes came just in the nick of time and I love them! Too bad I won't be dancing for a little while. My life has officially slowed down now and am ready for the break. Now I can work on things at home that have been neglected. Plus I have projects to work on and post about!

1 comment:

  1. You looked beautiful! Hope you don't ever give up dancing. I think some people just get better with age.

    Do you watch So You Think You Can Dance? I love the 29 year old "naughty" ballerina. I could watch her dance all day.

    ReplyDelete