Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Night for Inspiration


(Not the greatest picture...the stage curtain)
This past Saturday I witnessed some of the most incredible dancing I have ever seen!! A group from the studio I teach and dance at went to Dallas for the night to see a performance of contemporary and classical ballet called TITAS Command Performance. There were 10 pieces total and each were a duet, or pas de deux in ballet terms. The dancers are brought in from major companies such as American Ballet Theatre in New York, Alvin Ailey, San Francisco Ballet, and so much more. They are some of the best in the world and we didn't have to travel all over to see them!

Anther highlight was Mia Michaels, choreographer for many things, but most recently recognized for her work on the Fox show So You Think You Can Dance, was there and received an award from the TITAS foundation. This only added to our feelings of being star struck... to actually see her there, here her speak, and see a piece she created especially for that night! Such a treat!

It is so hard to describe what I saw and I wish I had pictures and video to show you, but of course that was not allowed. It was amazing and some of the best spent $20 ever... no exaggeration I promise! I didn't get too many other picture of the night but here are the few.

Marlene, our fearless driver/dance director

Rachel while passing out the tickets

Some of the ladies in the van

Danielle and I after the show!

This past week I have felt dry and out of creative juice when it came to dancing, especially in creating choreography for my classes. It just seemed everything was zapped out of me. Going to this performance was the perfect medicine and exactly what I needed! I only wish I could reply the dances over and over again so that I might enjoy them more!

No comments:

Post a Comment