Saturday, March 21, 2009

The Breakfast Room Makeover

Although the smallest room in our house, it is my favorite and one of the main draws to the house as a whole when we originally looked at it. I'll never forget being held up by my dad so I could look in the window and low and behold the house had an original built-in! Add to that the fact it was built in 1937, had all hard wood floors, and two beautiful chandeliers...I was ready to say sold on the spot! But of course the roosters had to come down, a nice coat of paint, and a few more projects for the room to fully come alive.

Here is Mr. wonderful scraping off the roosters that refused to be removed! Thankfully he was up to the task that night because I know I wasn't.


We decided to leave the checkered floor, which I sometimes have regrets over, but that mainly happens when I am trying to get it clean. For the table and chairs, from the beginning I knew I wanted a white round table(which took months to find) and then we decided that instead of having the chairs the same we would find four different chairs, paint them white, and recover their seats with different fabrics. In the end I decided I liked all the seats to be the same. The chairs were more difficult to find than I expected, but after looking at a flea market, getting one from a garage sale, and then finally our fourth ended up coming from my grandmother. Overall we worked on them off and on for quite a while when we had a chance...lots of sanding, some wood glue, and a staple gun, but I can say that I am VERY pleased with the outcome!

3 of the chairs before (and there are 4 even though I only show 3 for some reason)

and after...





This picture shows the chandelier that I continually debate on whether I should paint it or not. Right now it is some sort of gold color that makes it look really dated. I have thought about painting the metal portions either with white or black, but I can't make up my mind if I should even do it much less the color!


I love how the room feels fresh and like spring year round! It will be even better as my flowers in the back yard start to bloom and I can bring them in for splashes of color throughout the house. Just thinking about it gets me excited and makes me smile!

1 comment:

  1. Yeay for beautiful window treatments!! they look GREAT!! I haven't done anything with my fabric yet, but you did inspire me to download some ideas off of marthastewart.com :)

    ReplyDelete