Monday, May 18, 2009

A first time for everything & Thrifty Shopping

Today I thought I would be brave and post at my very first Link party! Rhoda at Southern Hospitality has one every Monday where we can share our yard sale or thrifty finds of the week. For weeks now I have looked at everyone's finds and this week I thought I would have a go at sharing my own. (shh...I'm a little nervous!) My finds are not all that grand, but fun none the less. Even though I grew up going to garage sales with my mom if feels like I am just now learning how to venture out and find treasures on my own!

Well this past Saturday I helped my grandmother put on a garage sale that her church was hosting. It as actually a youth group fund raiser where you rented the space and brought your stuff to sell. We had a slight scare with rain, but thankfully only a few drops and nothing more! I had very little to sell myself, but my mom and grandmother...well that's another story because my grandmother had a whole trailer full! It was actually fun(normally I like to go to the sales-not put them on) and I found a few things along the way.

These are Kate Spade saucers I picked up. For $.75 a piece (as I know you can see...the tags would not come off and I gave up for the time being). I looked them up to see if I could find cups to match and for a set on eBay the sell for $23 for the cup and saucer! The white one has a paisley print on it that is so pretty!
At the same place I got this little urn(I think that is what you would call it!) for...well you can see... $.50.
Then another lady had this silver tray in what appeared to be a cast-a-way box of stuff. It was still in its original box! So I'll add it to my growing collection and I probably won't even clean it...my husband asks me all the time why I don't polish the silver I find. sigh. I just seem to like it the way it is! But I'm sure if I use it for entertaining or a shower or something I'll clean it up.

While there was a decent showing of sellers I think my grandmother and mom had some of the best stuff. There were even items that made me think of others who blog and wonder "Now would they buy that?" or "what would so and so do with that?" I'm telling you-blogging and entering the blog world makes me see things in a whole new light!

And while I thought they had great stuff I had to refrain from loading up my car with it! I did manage a few things and all for free!


This little picture frame and shadow box...I plan on painting both and then I am not sure what I'll do with them after that.
Then there is this basket-love the shape and it makes me think of something Jane Austen character would carry on one of her walks. The tea cup, saucer, and tid bit plate-love it! Then again I have had a thing for tea cups since I was a kid. Then last of all the book-I am an avid reader and can consume books at an alarming rate. I haven't read this author before, but it intrigued me. Oh! and my mom bought a whole stack of books that I'll eventually get a turn at too! And I won't have to pay a cent!

I realize now there are more words than pictures! Oh well I'm learning. Thanks for having a look!

7 comments:

  1. looove the urn, it's a beautie! (and i'm with you, I NEVER know how to name these things LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing what everyone has found in their treasure hunting. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Ashlee, I'm so glad you joined the party! So nice to meet a young fellow thrifter. See if you start young, you'll have a whole house full of stuff by the time you're my age. :) I love all your finds. That Savannah book is really good. She's a wonderful author & I think you'll enjoy her historical books about Savannah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you joined the party, you found some very nice things at great prices, I love the urn and teacup. The basket would look neat with flowers cascading from it.
    I didn't start going to yard sales, etc. till my late 40's (Not too long ago!) and I am so sorry I didn't start much younger. It's so much fun. See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely stuff...and I adore the silver plate. Little trick I just learned...toothpaste works to remove tarnish! Dollar Store toothpaste! And with silver polish being $4.00 a bottle! I was so excited. Plus it smells minty fresh! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great finds! Love the saucers, white urn and silver tray. Thanks to Suzy Q's tip I will be polishing a couple of my silver pieces :)
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  7. try goo gone for the sauces.
    Great finds!

    ReplyDelete